This is an issue of Combo, Folha’s Games Newsletter. Do you want to receive it in your e-mail every Monday? Sign up below.
The last few days have been hectic for the gaming industry. Summer Game Fest and Xbox & Bethesda Showcase followed the month dedicated to industry news, which began with Sony’s Play of State.
The combination of the three events showed that the second half of this year will not be accompanied by big games. The end of post-pandemic video games – marked by delays and a lack of games and consoles – will not happen until 2023.
While Summer Game Fest featured a number of important titles, Microsoft has detailed many of its key stakes, strengthening the role of the Xbox Game Pass and showing that it will be strong for next year.
Some of the highlights of the event, organized by Jeff Cagley, were the scary games “Aliens: Dark Generation”, which was “Callisto Protocol” by the creator of the series “Aliens” and “Dead Space”. In fact, many of the games offered at Game Fest mix horror with fantasy in space bases, a possible trend for the coming months. They have joined the previous two, Fort Solis and Rutin, and still have no release date.
Indie games such as “American Arcadia”, “Highwater” and “Flashback 2” (continuation of the 1992 name) attracted attention with their innovative styles and controls. The last two will be released later this year. The satirical “Goat Simulator 3” starring the announced trailer “Dead Island 2” will be released in the fourth quarter of this year.
At the end of the event, Sony participated with the announcement of the 2013 PS5 remake “The Last of Us: Part 1”. The game will be released in September this year. The trailer even says that the PC version is still being developed, in line with the company’s tendency to soften its console exclusivity policy. “The Last of Us: Part 2” was released in June 2020 only for PS4.
Even Netflix participated in the Summer Games Festival with an independent event on Friday (10). Streaming, which invested in games, featured game-based series and series-based games. Games include “Queen’s Gambit Chess,” “La Casa de Papel,” “Government: Three Kingdoms,” and “Pompeii,” released for mobile the same day.
Microsoft’s exclusive event this Sunday (12) received far more surprising announcements. Starfield, one of the company’s main bets for the new generation, won a video detailing the game. The name is reminiscent of No Man’s Sky exploration, developed by Bethesda exclusively for the Xbox and featuring the developer’s main games, Fallout 4 and Skyrim mechanics.
Xbox has also announced a new Diablo IV character, a Minecraft-based game, the arrival of the Japanese RPG franchise Persona on the platform, and the title in collaboration with Hideo Kojima (“Metal Gear”) developer Kojima Productions. Hard ”,“ Death Stranding ”).
To celebrate the franchise’s 40th anniversary, Flight Simulator will receive additional content from Microsoft, such as the Halo spacecraft. The flight simulator will also have a new classic aircraft, such as St. Louis.
Another feature of Microsoft is that the sequel to the long-awaited movie “Hollow Knight” Sliksong has announced that it will be available for free on Game Pass on the day of launch – it is unknown at this time.
Like Sony, Microsoft is rehearsing next-generation steps. The company’s three flagship titles, Redfall, Starfield and Forza Motorsport, will only be released for the Xbox Series S and X. After nearly two years of releasing hybrid releases, companies began to abandon their previous consoles. Game Pass with exclusive titles and new partnerships should also be one of the main characters of the coming years.
New or old, the game’s board for you to try
Steam Next Fest (Steam is coming here)
Until next Monday (20), the Steam Vem Aí event will allow platform users to try out several indie titles for free, watch broadcasts with developers, and make suggestions. This is a good opportunity to get acquainted with games that could become viral in the coming months.
news, launch, business and other important things
- Activision has released the first trailer for “Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2,” which will be released on October 28 for PS 4/5, Xbox One / S / X and PC. The video features two famous franchise characters, Captain Price and Ghost. The game series has sold about 425 million units worldwide.
- The 2020 game “Cyberpunk 2077” will be adapted into an anime for Netflix. “Cyberpunk: Expendables” tells a ten-episode self-story, as the criminal tries to survive in a futuristic city deceived by technology and body modifications. The series will premiere in September this year.
- Saudi Arabia recently bought a $ 1 billion stake in the Swedish conglomerate Embracer Group, which bought Square Enix studio. This amount corresponds to 8.1% of the company. In May, the same state-owned investment fund, led by Prince Mohammed bin Salman, bought a 5% stake in Nintendo.
- As part of its strategy to expand its market beyond video game consoles, Microsoft will bring several Xbox games to Samsung’s new smart TVs starting June 30th. Game Pass subscribers can play more than 100 titles on TV by pairing bluetooth controllers. Names like “Halo Infinite” and “Forza Horizon 5” are available on the TV line and you don’t need a console to play.
Games and promotions that will be released in the next few days.
- “Neon White”: BRL 89.99 (Nintendo Switch), BRL 46.79 (PC)
- “Tenj Mutant Ninja Turtles: Revenge of the Shreds”: $ 94.99 (Nintendo Switch, Xbox One / S / X, PC)
Ads of the week
- “Maneater” (PC) is free in the Epic Games store until this Thursday (16). Named Tripwire Interactive (“Killing Floor”), the player gives life to a shark, whose goal is to survive and thrive until it becomes the largest beast of the sea.
- After the announcement of “Ark II” in the Xbox story, the game “Ark: Survival Evolved” will be free on Steam until next Sunday (19). The title mixes survival mechanics with science fiction, RPGs and dinosaurs.
reading of the week
What came out about the games a paper