An Oregon resident was quarantined after testing positive for monkeypox

Editor’s note: KOIN 6 News first reported that Marco Reyes Rojas delayed the test results after a local clinic said he would receive his results in three days. Reyes Rojas received the results and told KOIN 6 News just before 5 p.m

PORTLAND, Ore. (KOIN) – As monkeypox continues to spread across the Pacific Northwest – with 51 confirmed cases in Oregon and 103 in Washington – KOIN 6 News spoke with a Portland man who tested positive for the virus.

Marco Reyes Rojas told KOIN 6 News that he had a large rash and painful sores on his back, two of the main symptoms of monkeypox.

“At this point I said this. It looks like monkey pox, what else could it be?’” explained Reyes Rojas.

Reyes Rojas said he first visited a local clinic on July 20 with symptoms including a fever and two sores on his legs. After a series of negative STD tests, she said the doctor would send her home.

“They told me everything was fine,” he explained. “I told him, ‘I’m doing my own research on what might be monkeypox.’ Can you please try?’ My doctor said he saw what monkey pox is. And monkey pox is not.

  • Results of a human monkeypox test in Oregon have been delayed as the virus spreads

She added, “I told him then that it would be my peace of mind and that I would feel comfortable if he did it.”

According to Reyes Rojas, the clinic told her that the test results would be available in three days. Three days later, he said all his symptoms had gotten worse, so he returned to the same clinic, this time seeing a different doctor.

“He saw it and said, ‘yeah, it’s monkeypox, but I can’t confirm it until the results come back.’ And I actually told them that the ER doctor had already tested me and I was still waiting on the lab results. Then he said, “Let me check the hawthorn.” There is nothing in my file. “He said that nothing was added to my file about monkey disease,” Reyes Rojas said.

He said the doctor tested him again and told KOIN 6 News Thursday that the Multnomah County Health Department tested positive. The doctor told him to quarantine and if he had to leave the house, to cover his body completely, wear gloves and a mask.

“I don’t know what will happen when my body is out. I don’t even know how to get out. I do not know anything. Nobody knows anything. The doctors told me what I read on the internet. You know, I’m on my own with other people in the community who are dealing with this issue,” Reyes Rojas said.

She told KOIN 6 News she hasn’t left the house for a week and friends have been leaving food and groceries at her front door. Multnomah County Public Health has reportedly told him he can’t return to work until Aug. 15, noting that the sores will remain contagious until they dry and peel off. According to officials, this can take up to four weeks, depending on the person’s body.

“I’ve done a lot of things in my life. I am an immigrant who moved here at a young age, and I have to integrate, learn, and manage the culture on my own. “I’ve been through a lot, but this is one of the hardest times that I couldn’t do on my own,” said Reyes Rojas.

Multnomah County Public Health has highlighted a two-day-a-week appointment vaccination clinic in downtown Portland.

The Oregon Department of Health told KOIN 6 they are not aware of any testing delays. State health officials said the Oregon Public Health Laboratory and seven private laboratories are conducting the testing, with results expected to take 1 to 3 days.

KOIN 6 News also reached out to the clinic to ask about the testing delays, but did not hear back.

A Gofundme page was set up to help Reyes Rojas pay rent while she can’t work indefinitely.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.