You love being outdoors, camping, hiking, or just digging your garden with your gardening gloves. However, some plants can cause serious allergic reactions. Mark Charnota, an associate professor of weed science at the University of Georgia, says that many poisonous plants are a cause for concern because of the dangers of grazing on pastures, such as sheep or cattle. ” However, there are a number of plants that can cause serious skin reactions or respiratory problems in humans, depending on human sensitivity. Knowing how to recognize these plants is the first step to protecting yourself. ” Do an online search to get a positive ID or talk to your local university’s co-op expansion agent (you can find yours here), who can suggest tracking methods if you find a plant in your yard.
When you brush a plant that you suspect (or know it is poisonous!), Gently clean it immediately with cold water and soap (it can worsen the condition without rubbing hard). Several over-the-counter products, such as Tecnu Poison Ivy Scrub and Ivy X Post Contact Cleanser, can prevent or reduce skin reactions if used immediately after a suspicious exposure. Clothes should be washed with detergent, as they can transfer vegetable oils to furniture or other household items, Charnota said. The same goes for garden gloves, tools and pets! For example, if your furry baby is stuck in a part of a poison ivy, wash it as soon as possible to avoid getting fat (fortunately, pets rarely react unless it is a hairless breed).
If rashes appear within a few hours to a week after contact with a poisonous plant, itching should be relieved with cold compresses, topical hydrocortisone cream and calamine lotion, and oral antihistamines. Most rashes last for 2-3 weeks. However, consult a doctor if you experience severe discomfort or if the rash is getting worse.
Most of these poisonous weeds are in the same family, but may look a little different depending on the type and region of the country. However, here are the most common poisonous weeds you can find while walking or gardening:
Advertisement – Continue reading below
Where to find it: Widespread, but mostly on the edge or edge of moist, deciduous forests
What it looks like: A perennial tree that grows in trees, fences or buildings as a small shrub or rock climbing vine. The three bright green leaves alternate on the stem, although they have different shapes of leaves on the same plant. The slender stems may have white flowers, which become gray-white fruits in late summer.
Poison ivy is one of the most common poisonous plants in the country, causing more cases of contact dermatitis than any other plant and household item! Chemicals in plants, such as urusiol, are present in all parts of the plant, including its stems, leaves, roots, flowers and fruits. Contact with the plant often causes contact dermatitis, such as red, blistering, or itchy rashes. Fortunately, only fatty toxins can spread rashes, not blisters. In addition, some people may experience a reaction in the lungs or nasal passages if the plant is burned for disposal.
Where to find it: Widespread in urban, coastal and forested areas
What it looks like: Thick-leaved shrub or emerging vine. The leaves have three petals, five or seven petals, and small hairs. The leaves are 1 to 4 inches long and have serrated or serrated edges reminiscent of oak leaves. White flowers become black berries in late summer.
It is sometimes difficult to identify changes in leaf patterns due to the local plant. Toxic oak contains the same chemical urusiol as poison ivy, which can cause contact dermatitis in susceptible people. Normally, if you use a brush, brush, or thread trimmer to release vegetable oil, it should break down. It can also cause severe respiratory irritation.
Turmeric or nettle
Where to find it: Arable land, such as riverbanks, roadsides, fences, and arable land, such as gardens, orchards, and vineyards.
What it looks like: Depending on the species, these are small and medium-sized broadleaf annuals, or long perennial broadleaf weeds that grow in large colonies. Mice have two types of hair.
The stems and leaves of this native plant, which cause irritating dermatitis, have small or hairy hairs. Unlike poison ivy or poisonous oak, only sensitive people react to it, and this plant affects everyone! The hair is made of a tube-like structure with a light bulb at the end; When the bulb touches the skin, the bulb breaks and injects a needle-like toxin (possibly histamine), causing red spots accompanied by itching and burning, which can last for more than 12 hours.
Where to find it: On the coasts or forests of the Northeast, Mid-Atlantic, Canada, and the Northwest Pacific
What it looks like: A member of the carrot or parsley family, these plants can reach 15 to 20 feet tall when matured with leaves up to 5 feet wide. The thick stem has white umbrella-shaped flowers.
You may have read about this invasive form due to its dangerous dermatological effects. Introduced in the early 1900s as ornamental, giant pig juice, furanocoumarins contain a chemical that makes all parts of the plant, including the stems and hairs, sensitive to light. When the juice is exposed to sunlight, within 48 hours, severe skin inflammation and painful blisters appear. The blisters last for many months, and the affected area may develop long-term sensitivity to sunlight.
Where to find it: Gardens, forests, fields and roadsides
What it looks like: This plant can be bright yellow, bell-shaped or erect or with vines with white or purple star-shaped flowers. The berries are dark purple-black or red, depending on the type.
There are many types of night shades that look similar depending on the region. But all parts of any nocturnal plant are poisonous; Curious children or pets can eat them because pink-black fruits are probably the biggest danger. Working with the plant can lead to dermatitis in people who are sensitive to it.
Where to find it: Landscaping near highways or in the USDA zone 7 and above; sometimes grown as a houseplant
What it looks like: Perennial, small evergreen shrub or small tree with sharp leathery leaves, oleander has bright white, pink or red flowers with 5 or more petals.
Oleander is a beautiful, drought-tolerant plant that is often used as a plant in warm climates, but every part of this plant is poisonous to humans and pets. Interestingly, people were poisoned by using long, straight twigs as a barbecue for cooking! Thick, sticky juice can also cause contact dermatitis. If you have this plant in your landscape, keep interested children and pets away from it and do not plant it near the animal yard.
This content is created and stored by a third party and imported into this page to help provide users with email addresses. More information about this and similar content can be found at piano.io.
Advertisement – Continue reading below